THE BIGGEST ATTRACTIONS IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD
Dom Zdrojowy in Świeradów-Zdrój presents some big architectual and artistic values. It has got the longest wood in the Lower Silesia. It is 80 m long with a flower-plant polychrome, stained-glass windows and the coat of arms of the Schaffgotsch family above the stage. There are also some interesting other health resorts and boarding houses that were built in the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century.
It is worth to make a tour around the villages in the vicinity of Świeradów-Zdrój because there are many houses and buildings that were built in traditional Lusatian architecture called half-timbered wall (mur pruski) that is combined of the wooden beams and burnt red bricks.
One of the most precious monuments in Pobiedna is definitely the Meffersdorf Manor, which was built 1767-1768 in baroque style. In this place there used to be a manor, but it was destroyed during the fire in 1651 and finally pulled down in 1764. Now the estate is in possession of a private entrepreneur and is not available for tourists. In the mansion there are remainings of an old and incredible English Park and garden from the beginning of the 19th century. From the mansion going north till the settlement Borowina leads the lime Black Alley. In the western part of the village one can admire the ruins of a baroque evangelic church form the 17th century, which was plundered by the local notables. Fortunately, there retained some baroque and classical stone details like the portal, baptismal basin, gravestones and epitaphs from the 18th and 19th century. Previously in this place there was a gothic church, which was first meant in the 1346 and then rebuilt into so-called border church in the 17th century. In the south of the village there is a beautiful villa, that was built by the local factory-owner Richter in 1926. Luckily has been kept in a really good condition to 2004, when it became a property of a private person, who created a nice, stylish and romantic hotel, called Dworek Saraswati. The architecture of this building and the elements of the construction and the interior are designed in a rare style called “art deco”. Inside, the guests can admire original stained-glass windows from the first half of the 20th century.
In Pobiedna there preserved some historic houses from the 18th century, for instance at Dworcowa Street 28 and the old astronomical observatory on the eastern edge of Czerniawski Forest (on the green trail). It can also serve as an interesting viewpoint.
Interesting ! – on the left side of the main road in the direction to Czech-Polish border, there is a small spring. It was called after the Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary Franz Josef I, who visited this place on the 23rd August 1779.
It is a small city, which population reaches five thousand people, that is located in the River Kwisa Valley at the foot of Stóg Izerski. The history of this place dates back till 18th century. Then, there were discovered some medicinal properties of the local springs and the water. In 1934, there were discovered some springs of the radon water , which made it possible to start some health treatments. In Świeradów-Zdrój it is worth to see the Dom Zdrojowy, which was built in 1899. Inside the building one can admire the longest wooden wandering hall in the Lower Silesia and drink some water. You can get there from our hotel using the red trail through Czerniawa, and then going along the green one that crosses Zajęcznik or you can use the free city transport.
Czerniawa Zdrój - 2 km
It is a district of Świeradów-Zdrój, that is situated in the Black Stream Valley (Dolina Czarnego Potoku). It is well known because of its medical treatements to young children, especially those who has got some lung and respiratory tract health problems. One can drink also there some spring water.
The Devils Watermill in Czerniawa Zdrój (czarci Młyn) - 3 km
It is said that there are some devils inside the building, which make one’s life difficult. Even the neighbouring terrain of this place has got some sinister name – the peak that is above the mill is called “Czerniawska Kopa” and the water that runs the mill comes from the Black Stream(Czarny Potok). One have to keep in his mind that before entering the building, he or she must touch the lion’s head that guard the entrance. This acting should guarantee safe and nice stay. In the inside of the mill one can admire the interesting interior and even try the bread, that is baked according to the 100-year-old tradition recipe and it tastes just wonderful. The mill was constructed in 1890, and most of the equipment comes from that time. Former, it was not only a mill but it served as a storage, bakery and family house for the people, who worked here. Today it is a big touristic attraction, and the pople who come to visit it can know the old ways of producing flour, from the preparation of the grains, through milling and finally baking some delicious bread.
The Ruins of the Świecie Castle (Zamek Świecie) 6km
The origins of this fortress are quiet mysterious. It appears in some documents from the 14th century as Castle “Sweta”. The castle functioned and was passed on from one person to the next one till the first half of the 19th century. Then it was destroyed in the fire. From that time on, the castle has not been rebuilt. Even though there are some steps to change this state. The ruins have been only cleaned from the bushes and rubble, which was gathered for many years.
Czocha Castle (Zamek Czocha) - 15 km
This castle is situated on the granite and gneiss hill in the River Kwisa Valley. in the 16th century the castle was rebuilt from the medieval fortress into an impressionable renaissance residence. In 1793 there was a big fire, that has destroyed a part of the building. In 1909 the castle has been bought by a Dresdner entrepreneur Ernest Gütschow. The project was commissioned to a well-known European architect Bodo Ebhardt. This undertaking made the castle one on the most beautiful monuments in Lower Silesia.
Leśniańska and Złotnicka Dams in the vicinity of Czocha Castle (13 km)
These are reservoirs that were constructed because of the danger of floods, that were a common problem on this land. The first of the dams has been built in 1901-1905. Its 45 meters high and 130 meters long. The second one- Złotnicka Dam – was built in 1919-1924. It is 36 meters high and 168 long.
The ruins of Rajsko Castle (Ruiny Zamku Rajsko)
Today they are only picturesque ruins of the castle, which origins date back to 18th century. The incredible shape of this place was designed by the Baron Alexander von Minutoli, who in in the 19th century bought the village Biedrzychowice and the neighbouring settlements. The baron was known of an original taste, therefore the castle represents various architectonic styles with many details. He was a staunch collector of ancient artefacts. He gathered in the castle some really interesting pieces of art. It is crucial to mention that in the castle, there was the biggest collection of Egyptian mummies, antique pottery, numismatic collections and famous artists’ paintings.
Frydlant Castle (Zamek Frydlant) - 18km (the Czech Republic)
It is the oldest castle in northern Czech Republic, that is kept in such a good condition. There is a big collection of original furniture, an amazing gallery od paintings and weapon. In the city of Frydlant there is a wonderful church with some incredible renaissance grave-paintings from the beginning of the 17th of the family von Radern.
Libverda - 15km (the Czech Republic)
The former residence of the house of Clam-Gallas. It is a peaceful and quiet health resort located among the Izera Mountains. It is situated on the height of 424m above the sea line, almost by the frontier between the Czech Republic, Poland and Germany. The location at the foot of the mountains as well as the neighbouring woods make the atmosphere of the health resort wonderful and worth-visiting.
Libverda Baths (Łaźnie Libverda)
This place is well-known thanks to the health treatments of the nervous and urinary systems as well as the heart diseases. It was mentioned at the end of the 14th century, when it was popular for curing some famous people, for instance the Saxon king August. In the 18th century there discovered some springs of mineral water. The water that comes from the spring Marina is used for health treatments as well as for drinking. The first House of baths was built in the 18th century by the owners of the domain Clam-Gallas. The most interesting monument here to see is definitely the two-floor small castle together with the pavilion of baths.
Hejnice (the Czech Republic) - 18 km
This city is an ideal beginning point for the bike tours. The city lies on the northern slopes of the Izera mountains on the height of 375 m. From the very beginning, the history of this settlement was strongly connected to the cult of the Virgin Mary. In the 13th century a very poor craftsman, who produced nets and sieves, went into the woods to collect some timber. He was very sad, because his wife and children were very ill. He sat under the tree to have a rest and fell asleep. He was dreaming about angels, who told him he is in a very special place. They told him to go to the city and buy a picture of the Virgin Mary and come back in the same place. They promised him, his wife and kids were better. He did, what they asked him to do and his family soon recovered well. From that time on, the pilgrims started to come to see the holy picture. Soon the church was built, where the picture of the Virgin Mary was put. In 1352 the church was already turned into stone one. Today’s baroque church was built by T. Haffenecker in 1729. The church is definitely worth seeing because of its interesting interior.
The Hut Smědava in the vicinity of Hejnice - 20km (Chata Smědava)
The mountain hut Smědava was first built in 1814. The new building was raised in 1841 and served not only as a shelter for tourists but also as a customs watchtower. It was a common stopover for the pilgrims travelling to Hejnice during the Christian Holidays. It was sometimes used by the workers. The hut was burnt on 16th July 1932, and the present one was built in 1935. In the neighbourhood of Smedava there was a small castle, which also was destroyed during the fire in 1969. The streams Black, Brown and White Smědej merge together and flow into the Nysa River as the Směda River. To this place lead asphalt roads. It is a beginning of some great and wonderful bike and wandering trails.
Liberec - Aquapark Centre Babylon - 40 km
It is the biggest all season family entertainment centre in the Czech Republic and the Central Europe. Babylon offers many fantastic possibilities of spending time irrespective of age and interests. The Centre Babylon consists of the aqua park, luna park, iQ park and many other things. The aqua park delivers some unforgettable memories and a lot of adrenaline when using all the attractions.
Görlitz (Germany) - ca. 35 km
The restored old town with many architectonic monuments form the Middle Ages (e.g. The cathedral), that were kept in renaissance and baroque style.
The Convent Marienthal in Ostritz (Germany) - 30km (Klasztor Marienthal)
St. Marienthal ist the oldest one convent of the female Cisterian Order in Germany, that works constantly since 1234. Today’s nunnery was built after the big fire in 1683 in the Czech baroque style. It was recently restored and opened for the tourists. One can admire here a beautiful garden containing some biblical plants’ species, the church, the abbey, the sop and the permanent exhibition “ora et labora” and the energetic laboratory “Energie-Werk-Stad(t)t”. There is also an inn, where the tourist can eat something and have a rest. Worth seeing are not only the buildings but also the vineyard.